Get Usenet headers every 10 minutes - how?

foxidrive

Aug 17, 2010, 4:19:34 AM8/17/10
I searched the FAQ with no luck...

How can I make Agent 4.2 get new Usenet headers+bodies every 10 minutes?

--
Regards,
Mic

Ralph Fox

Aug 17, 2010, 7:12:08 AM8/17/10
On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 18:19:34 +1000, in message <9bhk6618nueji57qc...@4ax.com>
foxidrive wrote:

> I searched the FAQ with no luck...
>
> How can I make Agent 4.2 get new Usenet headers+bodies every 10 minutes?

You will need a 3rd party automation tool to push Agent's buttons.
I have tried out one myself in the past, but I don't have it (or
the information) here on this PC.

This Google Groups search has lots of the threads which I remember
reading. They include lots of personal recommendations for automation
tools.
<http://groups.google.com/groups/search?as_q=automation&num=30&scoring=d&as_ugroup=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent>

— — — ¤ ¤ ¤ — — —

You would not have found anything in the *official* FAQ at
<http://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php> because this feature
is not built into Agent.

There is something to find in the *unofficial* FAQ at
<http://www.loganact.com/agent/agentfaq.html>. See the item
"[3-5-6] How can I automate news retrieval in [Free]Agent?"
That FAQ item has a link to "The Forte Agent unattended
off-line reading mini- FAQ" at <http://crash.ihug.co.nz/~geoff/agentfaq.htm>
which is now off-line, but you can find an archived copy at
<http://web.archive.org/web/20021201163528/http://pages.quicksilver.net.nz/geoffm/Agentfaq.htm>
These last two FAQs are a bit out of date. You may be
better off reading the Google Groups search results above.

--
Regards
Ralph

"selre bið æghwæm þæt he his freond wrece, þonne he fela murne."
-- Beowulf.

foxidrive

Aug 17, 2010, 11:50:38 AM8/17/10
On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 23:12:08 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

>> How can I make Agent 4.2 get new Usenet headers+bodies every 10 minutes?
>
>You will need a 3rd party automation tool to push Agent's buttons.
>I have tried out one myself in the past, but I don't have it (or
>the information) here on this PC.
>
>This Google Groups search has lots of the threads which I remember
>reading. They include lots of personal recommendations for automation
>tools.
><http://groups.google.com/groups/search?as_q=automation&num=30&scoring=d&as_ugroup=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent>

Thanks. A batch file using WSH and sendkeys could do it, sleeping and
looping every 600 seconds, however I think having the GUI come in focus
and keys being pressed would sometimes come unstuck if I were typing in
another window at the time.

I might switch newsgroups to a different app.

(it's remarkable that Forte haven't implemented this in the last 10 or
so years...)

--
Regards,
Mic

Invisible Friend

Aug 18, 2010, 7:40:09 AM8/18/10
On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 01:50:38 +1000, foxidrive <got...@woohoo.invalid>
wrote:

There was a good program called Macro Magic a few years ago that could
probably do this.
--
Invisible Friend

foxidrive

Aug 18, 2010, 9:20:51 AM8/18/10
On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 12:40:09 +0100, Invisible Friend <an...@ymous.com>
wrote:

>>looping every 600 seconds, however I think having the GUI come in focus
>>and keys being pressed would sometimes come unstuck if I were typing in
>>another window at the time.
>

>There was a good program called Macro Magic a few years ago that could
>probably do this.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think any program that does this will have
to focus the agent window then refocus the window that was current - and
as I commented above if you were typing in a window then all sorts of
things could happen to Agent.

--
Regards,
Mic

Carroll Robbins

Aug 18, 2010, 11:03:54 AM8/18/10
foxidrive <got...@woohoo.invalid> wrote on Wed, 18 Aug 2010 23:20:51 +1000
in <6enn66p6a465pdr0b...@4ax.com>

>Thanks for the suggestion. I think any program that does this will have
>to focus the agent window then refocus the window that was current - and
>as I commented above if you were typing in a window then all sorts of
>things could happen to Agent.

An external program can send Window Messages to Agent without focusing any
Agent window. These would be the same Window Messages generated by pushing
the buttons or using the menu.
--
Carroll B. Robbins, Jr.

foxidrive

Aug 18, 2010, 1:20:09 PM8/18/10

Thanks, that would be the ticket and I didn't know it could be done. Can
you recommend any specific automation? Would autoit or sendkeys be able
to do it?

--
Regards,
Mic

Carroll Robbins

Aug 18, 2010, 4:56:37 PM8/18/10
foxidrive <got...@woohoo.invalid> wrote on Thu, 19 Aug 2010 03:20:09 +1000
in <3f5o6693c1181u0en...@4ax.com>

>Thanks, that would be the ticket and I didn't know it could be done. Can
>you recommend any specific automation? Would autoit or sendkeys be able
>to do it?

I know PowerPro can do it. I think autoit can. I'm not familiar with
sendkeys.

You will need to examine agent.xrs to determine the message to send. I
don't know what will happen if Agent is not in a state to receive that
message.